The goal of winter maintenance for paved roads is to remove snow and ice from the road surface as quickly as possible. Time frames will vary depending on the severity and duration of the storm.
Order of Priority for Snow Removal – Paved Roads
- County designated Primary Main roads
- County designated Secondary Main roads
- Hamlets and Subdivisions
- Main access roads to subdivisions
Snow removal will be undertaken in a manner that minimizes backtracking or excessive travel.
The goal of winter maintenance for gravel roads is to remove snow from the road surface after accumulations reach approximately 5 cm or more.
Order of Priority for Snow Removal – Gravel Roads
- Local Roads – Snow removal will commence in alternating locations. Snow removal will be undertaken in a manner that minimizes motor grader backtracking or excessive travel.
- Public access roads and machinery roads – Snow removal will only be undertaken to an established residence or to transport agricultural products, provided the road may be opened with a motor grader. This service will be subject to the availability of equipment.
- Winging snow from shoulders and other maintenance will have secondary priority.
- Snow removal on private property will not be done. Area Contractors have asked to add their name for the landowner’s convenience.