2014 2% Liquid Strychnine Program


2014 2% Liquid Strychnine Program

 Lacombe County in partnership with Alberta Agriculture and Food will be selling 2% Liquid Strychnine for the control of Richardson Ground Squirrels in 2014.

 Sale Dates: Thursdays - 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. beginning March 27, 2014 


2014 Field Crop/Pest Update

Join us to learn proper timing and scouting techniques to maximize your profit and reduce losses to pests and diseases!

You are invited to attend this informative session, which will focus on potential pest and disease issues facing your 2014 crop

DATE: Tuesday, April 1, 2014
TIME: 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Lacombe Memorial Centre - County Room


Late Blight

In recent years, Late Blight of potato and tomato has been detected in various parts of Alberta to varying degrees (sometimes severe, sometime minimally).  A great deal of effort has been expended to minimize the seasonal impact and limit the ongoing spread of this disease.  As a result, the number of detections has been significantly reduced, but we need to stay vigilant.



Alberta Dutch Elm Disease Awareness Week


Alberta Dutch Elm Disease Awareness Week June 22- June 28

With your help we can keep Alberta DED free.

We need the public to be aware of the following main points:

• Do not store elm firewood at any time.    •  Do not transport elm firewood within or into Alberta.

• Do not prune elms between April 1 to September 30.   • Report all DED symptoms to your
municipality or the Provincial DED hotline.

See the article below for more information:

icon 2013-DED Public Awareness Week article

Dandelion Video

Dandelion Video - This is one in a series of informational videos about weed control issues in Lacombe County. Watch for additional videos over the coming months. Follow the link below to see our short video on Dandelions.

Dandelion Video - Youtube 

Changes to Clubroot of Canola Policy

Clubroot is a declared pest under the Agricultural Pest Act. The Province of Alberta appoints municipal jurisdictions to administer and enforce the Agricultural Pests Act on their behalf.

Lacombe County Council passed a resolution amending the Clubroot of Canola AG(11) Policy on January 31, 2013. In response to concerns from area Canola producers, Council approved changes to reduce the area that is restricted from growing Canola in the case that a Pest Notice is issued under the Agricultural Pests Act.

This amended policy reflects Council's desire to ensure Lacombe County producers are competitive in a growing Agriculture Industry, as well as understanding that threats from pests and diseases need to be minimized; to insure the long term sustainability of Agriculture within Lacombe County.

Questions or concerns can be forwarded to Lacombe County Agricultural Fieldman Dion Burlock at 403.782.6601or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

The updated policy may be viewed below.

icon AG(11) - Clubroot of Canola

Agriculture FAQs

I have a weed on my property. How do I get rid of it?

Staff are available to identify the weed and offer suggestion on how to control it. For more information on common noxious weeds, refer to Weed Identification and Control.

I have weeds but I do not want to use herbicides for control. Are there other options?

Yes. Often weeds are an indicator of another problem, such as overgrazing, disturbances to the soil surface or soil conditions. In many cases, changes in management can be used to control weeds.

If I have weeds on my property, what are my responsibilities?

The Alberta Weed Control Act places the responsibility for weed control on the property owner, regardless of where they originated from.

My neighbor has weeds and I am worried they will spread to my property. If I contact you will you use my name?

We will respond to every weed complaint we receive, ensuring that the complaint source is kept anonymous, and we will work with your neighbor to remedy the situation.

What can be done about weeds when the landowner is unwilling to cooperate?

The Weed Control Act provides the municipality with the authority to force landowners to comply with the Act. Weed Inspectors may issue weed notices with specific instructions for weed control. Should these be ignored, the municipality has the right to carry out control and invoice the landowner for these costs. Should these costs remain unpaid, they can be added to taxes.

What does the County do to control weeds on their property?

Lacombe County carries out a comprehensive Vegetation Management Program to control both weedy and brush species on County owned roads and properties. This program utilizes both herbicides and mechanical controls to prevent the spread of weeds and brush on our rights of way.

What if I don't want herbicides used near my property?

Contact us and let's talk. A  No Spray Agreement is available for landowners that do not want herbicides used adjacent to their property, if the landowner is willing to take responsibility for weed and brush control in these ditches. The County's herbicide application equipment is set up with Global Positioning Systems that can warn our operators of any "no spray" areas while they are operating.

Why does the County refrain from spraying into the fence lines?

We prefer not to spray into fence lines to avoid any chemical trespass issues. However if your fence lines adjacent to our roads do contain weeds contact us and we can arrange to spray from the inside out.

Why does the County remove trees from our ditches?

Ditches are part of the road system. Removing trees helps to improve sight lines and assist with maintenance of the road surface. Keeping trees away from the road surface allows better melting in the winter as well as it prevents snow drifting problems. We also have a brushing program to remove trees on private land at our road intersections. The County may contact you to develop an arrangement if trees at an intersection are posing a danger to public safety.

Does the County provide trees to landowners to plant shelterbelts?

Not any more - the previous PFRA Shelterbelt Program has been discontinued.

I have noticed a lot of Coyotes in the area. Can the County control them?

As coyotes are considered wildlife, under Agricultural Pests Act we can only provide control if they are harassing or killing livestock. Pets do not qualify as livestock and do not qualify under this program. However, landowners have the right to destroy coyotes on their own property. Coyotes survive very well amongst people and will adapt to any situation that is advantageous to them. Do not make your property attractive to them by leaving out pet food or carrion as this will only serve to attract them. In many situations, coyotes are only fulfilling their role in nature which is to clean up carrion (dead animals).

I have Beavers on my property and they are causing flooding. Can the County help?

Under the County's Beaver Control Policy, we can remove beavers and their works when their activity impacts County infrastructure (roads). If they are causing problems on your land, contact us and we can put you in touch with qualified personnel that can help.

I have some insect damage on the trees in my yard. Can the County help?

While we are not experts, we do have a lot of experience in identifying and dealing with insects. Contact the Agriculture department for more information.

I have been contacted about cash renting my land. What can I charge?

There are agencies better suited to help with these types of questions. Contact the Alberta AgInfo Center at 1-866-882-7677.

My neighbor is spreading manure and it is bothering me. Who do I contact?

The Natural Resources Conservation Board is the Provincial authority concerning livestock operations. Contact them with questions and complaints at 1-866-383-6722.

Does the County sell gopher poison?

Yes - see our ad for Strychnine on this page. Contact our Agricultural Fieldman, Dion Burlock, for more information - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or phone 403-782-6601. Most registered products will give good gopher control if used early in the season (April - May). Understanding the life cycles of these animals will assist in managing them.

What do I do if I have seen a rat?

Although uncommon, it is possible to have rats in Alberta. Many sightings turn out to be juvenile muskrats or pocket gophers. Contact the Agriculture department and we will investigate.

What can I do to prevent mosquitos on my property?

As the culex tarsalis mosquito carries the West Nile Virus and breeds in stagnant warm water, you can reduce the risk by removing any potential breeding areas, including standing water. Where it is not practical to remove the water, biological larvicide's can be used to control hatched mosquitos. Contact the Agriculture department for more information on these products.

Can I contact you regarding general agricultural related questions?

Yes. We may not have the answer directly, but we will endeavor to find the information needed to assist our ratepayers with all these types of questions.