This program is offered to ensure the proper recycling of plastic grain bags. This service will begin in November 2018 and is offered free of charge to agriculture producers operating within Lacombe County, Ponoka County, and Red Deer County.
In August 2018, the three counties signed an agreement with Merlin Plastics – one of the largest plastic recyclers in Western Canada. The plastic grain bags, collected from central Alberta agriculture producers, will be delivered to a recycling facility in southern Alberta. From there, the plastic will be processed and turned into pellets, which are then utilized by an Alberta plastics manufacturer - both the pelletizing and manufacturing occur in Alberta.
Lacombe County will be responsible for providing grain bag collection services. The grain bags will be processed with a grain bag roller on site and collected for eventual delivery to a plastic recycling center in Alberta.
- Agriculture producers who request grain bag recycling services must have one individual on site, capable of assisting the rolling and collection operation.
- Grain bags MUST BE FREE of grain, mud, dirt debris, and vermin.
- To ensure used grain bags are eligible for recycling, grain bag collection services should be scheduled within one week of grain extraction.
To book, please call 403-782-8959. For further questions about agriculture plastic recycling, please contact:
- Dion Burlock,Manager of Agriculture & Environmental Services, Lacombe County, 403-782-8959
- Red Deer County Agriculture Office, 403-342-8654
- Justin Babcock, Ag Fieldman, Ponoka County, 403-783-3333