The County’s Municipal Development Plan (MDP) and Land Use Bylaw (LUB) were adopted in July 2017. A full review of the MDP and LUB is completed every year, to evaluate the success or failure of the policies within the plans and to indicate if the policies are meeting the plan's objectives.
The Municipal Development Plan & Land Use Bylaw 2019 Review - Annual Report & Monitoring Matrix is attached below. This review has identified some areas for improvement in the plans, to which amendments are proposed. Staff have also found some housekeeping amendments. Bylaw 1318/20 proposes a number of amendments to the MDP and Bylaw 1317/20 proposes a number of amendments to the LUB.
Lacombe County is holding a Public Hearing to present the proposed amendments and allow members of the public to provide input into the proposed amendments before adoption:
July 9, 2020
Lacombe County office - Council Chambers / Virtually via Zoom
Anyone wishing to comment on the MDP and LUB amendments will have an opportunity to do so at the public hearing. The public are welcome to attend the meeting in person, or virtually via Zoom. Please note all public health guidelines will be followed if you attend in person.
If you wish to remotely join through Zoom, the public will be able to listen/observe the entire meeting, but like in face-to-face meetings, there will only be certain times that the public can comment.
Zoom Virtual Meeting Instructions
Zoom Meeting ID: 830 8732 8729
Join Zoom Meeting with a phone: 587-328-1099
Join Zoom Meeting with a computer/laptop: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83087328729
Personal ID: if you do not have a Personal ID, select # to continue
Anyone wishing to speak via Zoom will have to indicate that they wish to speak:
By phone: Hit *9 to indicate you would like to speak
By computer: Use the “Raise Hand” option on Zoom
If you are unable to attend the hearing, written submissions can be made to the County. You will, however, need to ensure that your comments are received by the County prior to the date of the hearing. Your comments can be sent by email to , by fax to 403-782-3820 or by mail to RR 3, Lacombe AB, T4L 2N3. All submissions will be public information.
The following is a summary of amendments being brought forward and an explanation as to why these changes are being proposed.
Municipal Development Plan (Bylaw 1318/20)
- Municipal Subdivisions: Insert Policy ENV&REC 4.4.7 to provide policy direction to ensure clarity. From time to time, municipal subdivisions are necessary to establish or expand municipal parks, cemeteries, or other public uses.
- Telecommunication Towers: Amend Section 7.8 Telecommunications and Policy INF&TECH 7.8.1 clarifying the federal jurisdiction versus the municipal role in the approval process.
Land Use Bylaw (Bylaw 1317/20)
- Agri-tourism business: Add 'agri-tourism business' definition and list as a discretionary use in Agricultural 'A' District and permitted use in the Recreation 'PR' District to facilitate agriculture-based tourism. Adding a new use in the LUB to promote agri-tourism businesses supports tourist uses showcasing our agricultural community and allows visitors to experience agricultural life.
- Bed and Breakfast: Amend the definition of 'bed and breakfast' to include the use of accessory buildings in the Agricultural 'A' District also to facilitate agri-tourism.
- Setbacks from a property line that has changed due to a natural boundary change: In the Agricultural 'A' District and Recreation 'PR' District, insert policy where a property line has been adjusted due to a change in a natural boundary, the setback shall be applied from the original property boundary and any development must be contained within the development area of the original boundary. As we see an increase in accretion on other lands not zoned Residential Lake Area 'R-RLA' District, staff propose to add this policy to the Agricultural 'A' District and Recreation 'PR' District to ensure clarity for landowners.
- Telecommunication Towers: Update Section 6.20 Telecommunication Towers and uses in the Agricultural ‘A’ District to align with the MDP updates.
Council Requested Amendments
- Cannabis Production Facilities: In the Agricultural ‘A’ District and Hamlet Industrial ‘I-H’ District, require a setback from a cannabis production facility to a residential use to address compatibility issues between land uses.
Assorted Housekeeping Amendments
- Approving Authorities: Amend section 2.2(5) regarding when MPC meetings are held, to be consistent with the Procedurals Bylaw.
- Home Based Businesses: Amendments to ensure all references are the same wording.
- Non-resident On-site Employees: Amendments to ensure all references are the same wording.
- Kennel: Amendment to the definition for grammatical errors.
- Fringe Commercial Area in Hamlet Commercial ‘C-H’ District: update 3(1) and 3(3) maximum parcel frontage and setbacks in the Fringe Commercial Area. Insert map to show Fringe and Core Commercial Areas in the Hamlet of Mirror.
- Maximum Height of an RV: In the Recreation Vehicle Resort ‘R-RVR’ District, amend 3(11)(a), describing how to measure the maximum height of a Recreational Vehicle to align with building height definition.
- Wastewater Servicing on Sylvan Lake: In the Residential Lake Area ‘R-RLA’ District, amend section 3(6) to align with the Sylvan Lake Communal Servicing Bylaw, which requires lots in Blissful Beach, Kuusamo Krest, Palm Bay, and Yuill subdivisions to connect to the municipal communal wastewater system.
For more information, please see the attachments.