Starting May 1, 2022, visitors of Sandy Point Beach, Sandy Point Boat Launch, and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launch will be required to pay for parking. Lacombe County is launching a quick and easy payment system for parking through HotSpot Parking Inc.
Want to pay before you go? Pay online (via HotSpot online) - please note paying online DOES NOT guarantee a parking spot.
BOAT LAUNCH (Sandy Point or Sunbreaker): https://hotspotparking.com/ReservationKiosk/home/126
BEACH (Sandy Point): https://hotspotparking.com/ReservationKiosk/home/560
WHY IS LACOMBE COUNTY IMPLEMENTING A PAID PARKING PROGRAM?
The Sandy Point beach and boat launch and the Sunbreaker Cove boat launch facilities are very expensive to operate and maintain. Implementing this paid parking program ensures that all users of these facilities, and not just County taxpayers as has been the case in the past, share in their costs.
I ALREADY PAY COUNTY TAXES. WHY SHOULD I PAY A PARKING FEE AT THE SANDY POINT BEACH AND BOAT LAUNCH AND AT THE SUNBREAKER COVE BOAT LAUNCH?
Council is of the view that all users of these facilities, including Lacombe County residents, Sandy Point Resort lot owners and Sandy Point seasonal campground lessees should support the costs of these facilities.
This paid parking program is not unlike a resident having to pay to use the swimming pool, indoor skating rink or soccer pitch, climbing wall, etc. in their home community.
Frequent users of the beach and boat launch facilities may wish to consider purchasing an annual pass, as follows:
- Sandy Point Beach Parking Annual Fee $ 120/year
- Sandy Point Boat and Sunbreaker Cove Launch & Parking Annual Fee $ 160/year
- Sandy Point Boat and Sunbreaker Cove Launch Annual Fee $ 80/year
HOW DO I PAY FOR PARKING?
There are four ways that you can pay for parking:
1) Park with the app: Download the HotSpot Parking App on your smartphone to set up an account.
- Create an account
- Tap the "Parking" icon
- Enter the 4-digit code on the sign
- Choose your length of stay
2) Park with the Fast Tap signs: Use your smartphone to scan the QR code on the signs in our parking lots and pay
- Scan the QR code with your phone's camera
- Enter your license plate number
- Choose your length of stay
- Pay with Apple Pay or Google Pay
3) If you don’t have a Smartphone OR Credit Card: You can pay online at home (home computer, laptop, iPad, etc.) before your visit. On the Hot Spot website, debit cards double as credit cards for online payments.
4) In-person at the Lacombe County Administration Building: You can also pay for parking in-person at the Lacombe County Administration Building during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm).
PLEASE NOTE: There is NO guarantee that you will get a parking spot if you pay for parking
from home or at the County office so, please be sure to arrive early.
WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO GIVE MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION ONLINE?
Any visitors who feel uncomfortable paying for parking online are welcome to come to the Lacombe County Office during work hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm).
PLEASE NOTE: There is NO guarantee that you will get a parking spot if you pay for parking from home, so make sure to leave early.
WHY DID LACOMBE COUNTY BUILD A BEACH, ENCOURAGE VISITORS AND RESIDENTS TO LIVE AND VISIT AT SANDY POINT, AND THEN IMPLEMENT A PARKING FEE?
When the Sandy Point Development was approved, the County wanted to ensure that the lake and beach could be accessed by the general public.
The County required the developer of Sandy Point to construct the boat launch, as well as the boat launch/beach parking lots, on County reserve lands. The County and the developer shared the cost of the beach washroom. Once constructed, all of these facilities became the responsibility of the County to operate and maintain.
Since assuming responsibility for these facilities, Lacombe County has constructed the maintenance shop at the beach, expanded the beach parking lot, installed additional playground equipment at the beach and purchased swim buoys.
In addition to the two Lacombe County maintenance employees, the County hires Commissionaires from the May to September long weekends to provide parking and traffic control on weekends.
The total annual cost of operating and maintaining the Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove facilities is $135,000. This does not include the future costs of resurfacing the paved roads and repairing/replacing the maintenance shop and small equipment, the tractor and pick-up truck, the two boat launches, the Sandy Point beach washroom, the Sunbreaker Cove boat launch washroom and the playground equipment.
THIS SEEMS LIKE A CASH GRAB. WHAT EXACTLY WILL THE MONEY GENERATED BY PAID PARKING BE USED FOR?
All revenue generated through the Paid Parking Program will be used solely to support the costs referred to in the previous question (above).
IF I RENT A SLIP AT THE SANDY POINT MARINA DO I HAVE TO PAY ANY FEES TO THE COUNTY?
The only fee will be a $10 launch fee when you initially place your boat in the water.
IF I OWN A LOT AT SANDY POINT RESORT OR LEASE A CAMPGROUND STALL AT THE SANDY POINT CAMPGROUND DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR PARKING AT THE BOAT LAUNCH OR BEACH?
Paid parking will be required for anyone parking at the Sandy Point beach or boat launch. You will not have to pay any fees if you park at your designated camping spot, driveway, residence, etc. If you do not require a parking spot in the public parking areas at Sandy Point, then you do not need to pay to park. By keeping your vehicle at your designated site at the campground/resort, you are helping to ensure there is enough room for outside visitors to park.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING A MOBILE PAYMENT APP?
The HotSpot Parking App is convenient for a number of reasons, including:
- The app will notify users when their time is close to expiring and offer the opportunity to add more time up to the maximum for the spot.
- Users can terminate a session early and be refunded for any unused time (Sandy Point Beach only).
- Users can pay for their initial session and any top-ups remotely as well if they choose.
Note: If you don't want to download the mobile app, you can scan the QR code and make your payment via the Fast Tap payment option through the signs in the parking lots.
WHAT IS THE COST OF PARKING?
Paid parking will be required at select lots (look for the HotSpot Parking signs) for anyone to park at the following rates:
- Sandy Point Beach parking lot ($3/hour or $15 for the day)
- Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launches
- $20/day to launch and park,
- $10 to launch only,
- $10 for additional vehicle parking only with no trailer
Recognizing the need for another option, Lacombe County Council has opted to offer an annual parking pass for residents and frequent users:
- Beach Parking Annual Fee $ 120/year
- Boat Launch & Parking Annual Fee $ 160/year
- Boat Launch Annual Fee $ 80/year
I’M HAVING TROUBLE PAYING FOR PARKING. WHO SHOULD I CALL?
You can also learn more about the company and how Hot Spot works, or find technical support online, at www.htsp.ca.
WHO CAN I CALL IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COUNTY’S PAID PARKING PROGRAM?
Please feel free to call Tim Timmons, County Manager or Bill Cade, Director of Operations if you have any questions regarding this new program. Both can be reached at 403-782-6601.