Municipal property tax notices were recently mailed out to Lacombe County ratepayers and should be appearing in mailboxes in the coming week. If you do not receive your 2018 tax notice by the end of June, please contact Lacombe County’s Assessment Department at 403-782-6601.
"We encourage ratepayers to be proactive and make sure their tax notice was received,” said Michael Minchin, Manager of Corporate Services. “To avoid all penalties, tax payments must be received by last business day in August."
The County’s tax notice is a combined assessment and tax notice.
- Anyone wishing to appeal their assessment has 60 days from the notice of assessment date to do so. A per parcel fee will be charged for people making complaints against assessments. If the Assessment Review Board makes a decision in favour of the complainant, the fee will be refunded.
- Property owners who miss the tax payment deadline will have a 6% penalty applied on September 1, 2018, on the outstanding taxes owing. An additional 10% penalty will be added on December 1 for all taxes remaining unpaid after November 30.
"Like other on-line bill payments, there may be a processing delay for online tax payments, so people who plan to pay their taxes through electronic banking should not to leave it until the last minute," Minchin said.
Property tax payments can be made:
- at the property owner’s financial institution;
- through online banking;
- in-person at the Lacombe County Administration Office (located at the Highway 12 and Spruceville Road intersection), or;
- by mail – including mailing post-dated cheques dated for August 31, 2018. If sending payments by mail, property owners must ensure that their payments are postmarked by Canada Post by August 31, 2018, in order to avoid late penalties.
The above due date and penalties DO NOT APPLY to ratepayers enrolled in the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP), which allows property taxes to be paid on a monthly basis instead of one single payment. Application forms for enrollment are available at the Lacombe County Administration office or on the Lacombe County website.
For more information contact:
Michael Minchin Nicole Plewis
Manager of Corporate Services Communications Coordinator
Lacombe County Lacombe County