On November 28, the public is invited to a drop-in style open house to provide input on the vision and direction for the Sylvan Lake Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDP). A public open house is set for November 28, 2018, at the NexSource Centre – Seniors Centre in Sylvan Lake from 4:30pm to 7:30pm.
“The eight partnering municipalities have a long history of working collaboratively, and we are confident that the IDP process will build on these existing relationships and plans that have been created over time,” said Sean McIntyre, mayor of Sylvan Lake and chairperson of the Sylvan Lake IDP steering committee.
The IDP will work toward common goals while respecting the unique interests of each municipality, and will also:
- set the policy framework for coordinating future land uses and development between the municipalities;
- build upon the wealth of existing planning documents that provide strong background information;
- result in an agreement between the municipalities on how to work together to manage lands related to future land development areas, transportation and infrastructure, environmental considerations, agricultural land use viability, and economic development.
“It’s crucial for the residents and stakeholders surrounding the lake to come out and tell us their unique perspectives on what are seen as key issues for the IDP to address,” said McIntyre. “Their feedback will help us develop a coordinated approach to growth and development for the benefit of all our communities.”
The IDP is a new type of policy for some of these municipalities, and so being clear about the project scope is helpful to understand. The IDP is not:
- An annexation or amalgamation process;
- A process that can change land uses directly;
- A process that will impact taxes; or
- A plan for the waterbody of Sylvan Lake.
What if you can’t make it to the Open House?
An online survey will be available November 26-December 9 for the public to provide input, with online mapping to spatially locate opportunities and areas of concern within the IDP area. The survey and online mapping will be focused on identifying the main values and priorities that people would like to see addressed in the IDP.
Hard copies of the survey will also be available November 26-December 9, from any municipal office (the Town Sylvan Lake office, the Summer Village office, Red Deer County office and Lacombe County office). Hard copies of the survey can also be mailed out upon request.
To complete the online survey, find more information or keep updated on the project, please visit www.sylvanlakeidp.com. For more information, please contact:
Mayor, Sylvan Lake
Sylvan Lake IDP Chair
403 887 2141 Ext 275