Starting May 1, 2022, visitors of Sandy Point Beach, Sandy Point Boat Launch, and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launch will be required to pay for parking. Lacombe County is launching a quick and easy payment system for parking through HotSpot Parking Inc.
"We understand some of our residents were concerned with the paid parking program. Council reviewed the plan and, except for adding an annual pass option for frequent users, they continue to feel it is the right direction to move in,” said Tim Timmons, County Manager for Lacombe County. “The additional user fees will help to ensure the operating and capital expenses of these amenities are more sustainable. With the increasing amount of people accessing the lake via the beach and boat launches, the paid parking program will assist with the maintenance and upkeep of these facilities, while providing funds for future needs.”
Find more details about the Paid Parking Program, including frequently asked questions and how-to videos, at https://www.lacombecounty.com/index.php/hotspot-paid-parking-program.
HotSpot Parking will be convenient for users and funds from the parking program will go towards the County’s commitment to ensuring safe, maintained lake access for all users to enjoy. Paid parking will be required for anyone to park at the following rates:
- Sandy Point Beach parking lot ($3/hour or $15 for the day)
- Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launches
- $20/day to launch and park,
- $10 to launch only,
- $10 for additional vehicle parking only with no trailer
Recognizing the need for another option, Lacombe County Council has decided to offer an annual parking pass for residents and frequent users:
- Sandy Point Beach Parking Annual Fee $ 120/year
- Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launch & Parking Annual Fee $ 160/year
- Sandy Point and Sunbreaker Cove Boat Launch Annual Fee $ 80/year
For 2022, Lacombe County Community Peace Officers and contracted Commissionaires will use a combination of education and parking violation tags to enforce these new requirements. Lacombe County will be setting up signage in all parking lots to direct users to use their mobile devices to pay for parking with HotSpot Parking Inc.
- Signage will be installed to let drivers know about Lacombe County's new parking program.
- Drivers will be prompted to download and use a parking app on their smartphone or scan/tap a QR code to pay without the need to download an app via the Fast Tap online payment option.
- Parking passes can be purchased online prior to arrival via HotSpot’s website (you can access the portal from www.lacombecounty.com starting MAY 1, 2022) OR in person at the Lacombe County Administration Office (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm)
- Please note: purchasing your pass at home or at the Lacombe County Administration Office does NOT guarantee you a parking spot.
"We know this will be an adjustment. However, Council believes that adopting a user-pay system for these facilities is the most responsible way to help offset the County’s cost of operating them,” said Lacombe County Reeve Barb Shepherd. “We are pleased to offer access to Gull Lake and Sylvan Lake through these facilities. The paid parking system will ensure these amenities can be maintained and used to their full potential for residents and visitors alike.”
About HotSpot Parking Inc.
Used by a number of municipalities and organizations, HotSpot is a modern, mobile parking solution that provides parking and transit solutions for cities, municipalities and businesses across North America. This single solution saves money and administration, improves service and creates a better overall citizen experience.