Adopted by Council on July 6, 2017, the Municipal Development Plan provides broad policy direction on how growth and development in Lacombe County will be managed. It is the County's primary planning document. All other statutory and non-statutory plans developed by the County must be consistent with the Municipal Development Plan.
The Municipal Development Plan contains policies dealing with the agriculture, residential development, hamlets, economic development, environmental management, parks and recreation, transportation and utilities and intermunicipal planning and cooperation.
Municipal Development Plan
An MDP is a strategic plan that provides broad policy direction for future growth and development of the County. It also provides direction for Council and Administration on decision-making related to growth and development.
The MDP is the County's primary planning document, and as such, all other statutory and non-statutory plans developed by the County must be consistent with the MDP.
The following guiding objectives were developed throughout the public consultation process in 2016-2017 and are based on the vision set out for the County by the community. These objectives seek to embody and support the growth node strategy and MDP policies for development in Lacombe County. Each of these objectives corresponds with a section in the MDP and are supported by a number of guiding statements which inform and direct the policies within the corresponding section.
- Protect and encourage the County’s strong agricultural community
- Demonstrate responsible stewardship of the County’s natural environment and provide a variety of recreational opportunities
- Diversify and support economic growth
- Ensure compatible and responsible development of the County’s built environment
- Support innovative and efficient infrastructure and technologies
- Foster strong municipal leadership